Do you ever wake up craving a milkshake for breakfast? I do. ALL. THE. TIME.
You know what’s amazing about plant-based cuisine? You can blend up a healthy chocolate milkshake using fruits, seeds, and cocoa powder. It all comes together in five minutes. From there, you can choose to sip it with a straw or gussy it up with fancy garnishes and enjoy it as a smoothie- errr, milkshake- bowl.
This chocolate milkshake is packed with good-for-you ingredients like banana, avocado, raw cacao powder, dates, a drizzle of raw honey for immunity-boosting superpowers, and three different seeds: flax, hemp, and tahini. Flax is an excellent plant source of omega-3 fatty acids, while hemp contains the ideal ratio of omega-6 to omega-3. Hemp is also an excellent source of protein, coming in at 9-10 grams of protein in a 3 tbsp serving, as well as being high in magnesium- an essential mineral for normal muscle and nervous system function! And sesame seeds are very rich in iron and calcium. Bananas provide a healthy dose of potassium and vitamin B6, a B vitamin that helps to reduce symptoms of stress, and avocado is packed with heart-healthy monounsaturated fat and vitamin E.
Needless to say, this isn’t any chocolate milkshake. This is a true supercharged meal that’ll power you through a morning workout, meeting, or study session.
Goodbye, winter blahs, and hello, dewy glow! Now if anyone asks how you have such healthy skin, you can give them the best answer ever: “I had a milkshake for breakfast.” Elaborate further as you see fit. 😉
Chocolate Milkshake Smoothie Bowl
- 1 large frozen banana
- 1/2 an avocado, pitted
- 1 pitted Medjool date (if it is dry, soak in warm water for 10 minutes)
- 1 tsp raw honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp tahini or nut or seed butter of choice
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 cup almond milk
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2 ice cubes
- 2 tbsp yogurt of choice (coconut, soy, sheep, goat)
- 1/4 cup granola of choice
- 1/4 cup berries or cherries
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until very smooth. Remember that you are aiming for a thick, milkshake-like consistency.
- Pour into a bowl (or a large glass if you prefer to enjoy as a more traditional milkshake. Garnish with desired toppings and serve immediately. For a fancy effect (as pictured), carefully 1 tbsp yogurt in a horizontal line. Use a butter knife and strike it through the yogurt in the opposite direction. Repeat with the remaining yogurt, adding more as needed).