Good morning! Popping in with a drink recipe and a few reads again. Hopefully you’ve fared all right during this emotional week of two heartbreaking tragedies, and that you were uplifted by the climate action protests around the world on Friday. As senseless and heartbreaking as these tragedies are, they make me extra grateful for this life, and remind me of its fragility. And the climate action protests are yet another reminder that we all can, and must, treat Mother Earth with more care and respect. Be kind to the earth, be kind to yourself, and spread love to all beings–human and non-human alike.
With that, I leave you with a smoothie recipe that is kind to your body and the earth. It doesn’t hurt that it tastes just like a peanut butter cookie in smoothie form, too! Of course, you can use whichever nut or seed butter you like.
Here are some reads that caught my eye this week:
- How to wake up with more joy.
- “We are unstoppable. Another world is possible.” The youth are rising in 112 countries and counting.
- Tiny Costa Rica has a Green New Deal, too. And it matters for the whole planet. The country wants to wean itself from fossil fuels by 2050.
- Have you heard of Loop? Now, similar startups are popping up, aiming to all but remove plastic from the consumption equation by offering products in refillable containers. But unlike zero waste stores, the refilling is done by the company itself. I’m really hoping this goes mainstream.
- I love my car-free lifestyle and am a pretty outspoken car-free advocate. George Monbiot expresses it so succinctly : “Let’s abandon this disastrous experiment, recognise that this 19th-century technology is now doing more harm than good, and plan our way out of it. Let’s set a target to cut the use of cars by 90% over the next decade.”
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Shake
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 large frozen banana, chopped
- 1 pitted Medjool date, soaked for 10 minutes if hard
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 1 ice cube
- Place ingredients in a blender and blend until very smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy.
If you make this recipe, tag your photo #holisticallie and @holisticallie on Instagram!